Sunday, July 31, 2011

Would John Wayne Faceboook about his kids?

Day 21:  OK I feel pretty good about blogging 21 straight days.  It has been an interesting experience.  First, when I started I had just gotten out of the hospital and I was taking strong drugs so my early posts are sloppy, rambling pieces.  I started going back through my old posts and fixing them.  Today I tackled the teepee post, wow did it need it, I just took care of the 21 post too, it had last a paragraph ass well.  Not only did it have incomplete sentences and grammatical errors, the Blogspot system had dropped a paragraph.  It is hard to write everyday but I am clearly getting better so the experience is valuable, I recommend it to everyone.  Seriously, not 3 days a week, not 5, but everyday.  This focus and discipline works your creative muscles and teaches you how to operate with a deadline.



Its no secret I just do not understand the social evolution.  I did not use Facebook until a month ago.  Twitter?  For what.  Blogging, what do I have to say.  I am basically just an old curmudgeon.  I decided I had to join the modern age and see what it was all about.  That is one of the reasons I started blogging.  But still I have a hard time getting it, I mean here is a sample from my Twitter feeds:


Why do I care?  Why do you care?  Do you really want to know I am drinking a glass of wine?

So I thought about what some of my heroes might look like plugged into social media...

This guy never tweeted about his kids.

Have you ever seen a John Wayne movie?  No chance he ever updated his status with "Little Johnny just got a pea stuck up his nose"  John knows, you had to be there for that one.  If John were going to tweet it would be something like: "Movie critics, what the hell do they know?  My size 10 boot is now hanging out of Eberts ass."

At least she has underware on, can you imagine if this was Britney?

Marilyn Monroe: "@Janet, so unbecoming, I invented the wardrobe malfunction and compared to mine, yours was LAME!"


James Dean: "Want to go for a ride?"


Jimmy Hendrix: "Had a hard time driving through LA, that purple haze was thick"


Jim Morrison: "@Jimi, you were not driving you were smoking in your apartment with that woman from LA."


Freud: "@Jim, your mom is from LA so obviously you have an Oedipal complex with latent fantasies about her relating to your friend Jimi."


Ayn Rand: "@Freud, obviously you fail to recognize there are no complexes people just follow what makes them happy.



OK, hard not to think social media has not matured yet.  As a society we do not need to spend more time in superficial activities we need to spend more time making a difference.  And if you need me to answer, No, John Wayne would not tweet about his kids putting peas up their noses.  Nor would any of the others waste their time with this crap.  Its not that social media has not and will not have an important place in society, look at its role in the middle east.  Its just that in the west we are not interested in change.  We do not want it, we do not ask for it, and we certainly do not foster it.  We would rather just laugh about debt ceiling paralysis and not upset our comfortable existence, yes, that goes for me too...

No comments:

Post a Comment